A wild ban hammer appears

Feb 28, 2017
So I was playing squad today, it had been a few matches, no major incidents to report. Currently I was running around behind the lines, we had pushed the enemy all the way back to there spawn, and I was busying myself with tending to those (as a medic) at the objective who were laying down suppressive fire for the people clearing the enemy out of the front of the point. It was mostly busy work as the enemies back was broken, we were dug in with FOBs and Rallies on both points and it had turned to a wait for the tickets to expire.

After a while, in one of the many breaks that came about while I tended to my duties, I noticed that a few words had been thrown around in All Chat. 4 short single lines statements from 3 people over the course of about two minutes. This was the first All Chat (or really, ONLY text chat) that I had noticed all game. Nothing offensive, outlandish, 'raving' or really anything that detracted from the game. Just random banter from people (both sides) bored waiting for the next match to start. I added my own two cents, in the form a single 6-8 word sentence - again nothing offensive, outlandish etc etc - and that was the end. About 30 seconds later someone (from the opposing team) commented on a spelling error, to which I replied 'under fire', trying to be brief and hoping that they would gather that I made the error due to being under fire, and that I was also at that very moment, under fire. With that, the conversation drew to a close. Everyone turned their attention back to the final minute or two of the game. About half a minute after that I noticed a longer string of white text then normal in the upper corner of the screen - someone had been banned for 'using all chat'. Then another, and another. I stop moving, figuring that since I had used all chat at all, that I would be banned too. My assumption was correct. When I returned to the main menu, I noticed that had previously been a full server, was now missing 7 people.

I decided to then check out the Server Rules, and will concede that it does include the statement "Constantly using ‘All chat’ is forbidden", but is, for example, my 8 word statement, followed by a 2 word response, or in someone elses case, a single 5-7 word statement, really something that constitutes "constantly"? I would also say that it was in no way an argument or taunting, as we were all in agreement about the subject. It was banter, during down time. Now if All Chat is forbidden entirely, in any instance, at all, why do the rules imply a 'don't flood the channel' position?

Anyway I didn't make this post in the hopes of being unbanned - if this is something that is considered a bannable offensive, I would have no intention of playing of such a draconian domain. I mean we are all there to play a game and have fun, which isn't something that you can really do if you are forced to be constantly looking over you shoulder for Big Brother. I make this post simply in the hopes that you may in the future reevaluate how you administer your game spaces.

Steez

Community Moderator
Squad Admin - Senior
Squad Admin
Donator
SPCTR| Clan
Apr 15, 2016
Tasmania
Well I'll start off by informing you that you aren't banned, nor were you ever. You were kicked for not complying with an admins request to clear all chat.

If the all chat had been nothing but idle banter it would of been left, but it wasn't.

Shortly before this all happened one of the admins (there were 3 of us on at the time, myself included) spotted someone with an offensive name. Since you have taken the time to read our rules you would be aware that while we do allow verbal swearing over VOIP, we do not tolerate player names or squad names to contain offensive language.

This play was warned twice to exit the game, change his name then return or he would be kicked. The player complied with the admin request and we thought nothing more about it.

Then on his return, slightly annoyed at having to change his name I suspect, that player started asking questions in all chat as to the rule. We obliged him with answers for a while then decided enough was enough and it was time to clear all chat before it got out of hand. We always ask for All chat to be cleared if it starts going on for too long. Its not a forum, nor is it a discord txt channel and its not meant for long engagements of conversation. Those are the rules we govern our servers by because its distracting for other players who aren't bored and are still trying to enjoy the game.

Clear all chat Broadcasts were sent multiple times, and I personally watched you proceed to type twice after the warnings. Then you were kicked for disobeying admins requests and the server went back into blissful happiness and everyone went back to playing the game as intended.

FYI, the guy that got banned was another admin that I accidentally banned because of a typo when trying to kick you, which is why action was over 30 seconds from the incident the kick was for. While you were pissed off about getting kicked, we were all laughing historically as Hippy, Syko Skipy and myself came to the realization of what had just happened ;)

No one else was banned either for the record.

In the future, do try and comply with admins instructions as we try very hard to make sure our servers are well administrated and if we ask for silence its usually for a reason.

I assume you are Mikhail Reign in game. Please have a look at the attached screenshot.

Thanks for your time, Steez
Senior Squad Admin

mikhail kick evidence.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2017
That broadcast method is the single most useless thing in invention. Instead of being in with the chat text, its white text, in an area of the screen that is normally covered with white sky and completely unused for any other alerts or any other kind of HUD. I wasn't even aware of it. You may as well be warning people through smoke signals outside their house, while they have their blinds closed.

Feb 1, 2016
New Zealand
That broadcast method is the single most useless thing in invention. Instead of being in with the chat text, its white text, in an area of the screen that is normally covered with white sky and completely unused for any other alerts or any other kind of HUD. I wasn't even aware of it. You may as well be warning people through smoke signals outside their house, while they have their blinds closed.
Admin broadcast messages are displayed in a larger red text. Top, center of the screen; Refer to the image below.

Reactions: MakTheBlade

Steez

Community Moderator
Squad Admin - Senior
Squad Admin
Donator
SPCTR| Clan
Apr 15, 2016
Tasmania
As Dubs pointed out its red. up the top, centre. And I agree, its pretty lackluster and easily missed if your busy, but we aren't developers.

We can only work with what we have got and in an alpha game that's not a whole lot.

Reactions: MakTheBlade

BigD Server Donations

Total amount
AU$255.00
Goal
AU$500.00

Hell Let Loose Server

Total amount
AU$0.00
Goal
AU$135.00